The NorthStar WMS is a web-based warehouse management system that has been developed with the latest in programming and database technology. It can be deployed in the cloud as either a hosted or a SaaS model. For companies with unique business rules, processes and customer requirements, the system is configurable and can be modified per these unique specifications. The NorthStar Automation Warehouse Management System (WMS) has been designed to provide users with the ultimate flexibility and control over warehouse operations. The robust system includes the capability of controlling multiple warehouses, shipping, receiving, inventory control, pick and pack operations and more from both desktop and RF users.
The NorthStar WMS comes with the following standard functionality:
- Receiving: The receiving process per the NorthStar WMS provides options for verification of receipts against Host-system POs, ASNs or blind receipts. Produce barcodes for pallets and cases when needed on receiving. Apply receiving and put-away logic per order and or vendor. The system comes with a receiving scheduler, a visual display of all inbound Purchase Orders scheduled for a particular day and showing arrival dates. The system exports the collected data from the receiving process determines what your accounting departments pays to your vendors.
- QA Inspection: Set up logical and virtual locations for QA and quarantine if an item or order requires any QC, a check is performed during the receiving process and will display the necessary instructions.
- Directed Put-Away: The system allows for optimization per the storage of goods in your warehouse and putting inventory into the most appropriate location based on your business rules and pre-configured into the system.
- Cross Docking: Loads are received and sorted on the receiving dock and then per the WMS logic transferred to the outbound process thus eliminating put-away and storage handling.
- Cubing: An optional function, cubing is used when setting up your warehouse locations and can be defined By Volume or By Eaches. In addition, you provide whether the Cube is a specific Location, Container/Pallet, an Item, or a Box. The final information to be provided is the Dimensions of the Cube ID, including Height, Width, and Length, as well as the Unit of Measure.
- Build Pallet: The Build Pallet functionality in the WMS essentially allows you to create a Pallet of Items and move them between warehouses, or locations within a warehouse.
- Cycle Counting: Check and maintain accurate inventory and many companies employ rigorous cycle count programs as part of an overall strategy to move away from having to perform a physical inventory. Cycle Counts and Replenishment tasks can be generated and sent to the floor for action via the RF users.
- Work Order / Kitting: The Operations Module is where the WMS user can manage various tasks within warehouse operations, such as a work order for pulling raw material into WIP or kitting. The system has multiple set-ups for manufacturing for tracking raw material to finished goods and building subcomponents to kits.
- Picking: Orders are electronically sent to a handheld barcode scanner or voice for rapid and error-free picking. Utilize multiple pick logic per your business rules such as zone, batch, FIFO, Weight or wave
- Quick Pick: This is a very specialized tool and should only be used in specific high volume piece picking orders. In essence, Quick Pick allows the WMS to “virtually” pick and stage or pick and ship a Sales Order.
- Allocation: The allocation functionality will show all of the inventory in your warehouse that has been allocated to a Sales Order. The listing will display by sales order # and include Item numbers, order quantity and p Picked quantity. The system will do both hard and soft allocation. A powerful feature of the WMS is the ability to Auto Allocate inventory. When you choose to utilize Auto Allocate, you are essentially assigning specific inventory to an order. This “hard” allocation will lock down the chosen inventory for a specific order and can apply to a single order or a group of orders as needed.
- Pack and Ship: Once your Sales Order has been picked, it is now available to be packed and prepared for shipment. This activity is done via the Pack Order module and will handle cartonization, box count and all shipping documents and labels. The system has approved APIs to all the major carriers and allows you to set up all of the shipping methods that you plan to use to move product from the warehouse to your customers.
- Order Tracker and Scheduler: The last module within the Pick/Pack/Ship section allows the WMS user to gain immediate access to tracking information for a package or shipment. A user can select the order to track, and receive the information back from the carrier. The Order Scheduler allows the WMS user to view orders that are due to ship on specific calendar dates. The view can be changed from Day to Week or Month based on user needs.
- ASN / EDI: NorthStar Automation is a certified partner with SPS, we support an extensive list of transaction set mappings as well as an intuitive template mapping tool to allow you to easily manage and add new transaction sets.
- Reporting: The Reports/Labels module allows the WMS user to both View and Manage reports. The View Reports tab contains dozens of pre-selected reports for every aspect of warehouse operations. From the View Reports tab, you can select a Report Group from the drop-down menu to see the available reports for that operation. The system has the capability to create personalized reports utilizing Telerik Report Designer functionality, an intuitive, easy to use report designer.
- Document Management: The Documents module acts as a repository for any necessary documentation that may be needed to accompany the shipments leaving your warehouse. For example, in many industries, certification documentation must accompany a shipment of product to a customer. Also, the food industry requires specific types of documentation to accompany the product to comply with FDA regulations. The Documents module will have your functionality for printing off these critical documents prior to shipping.
- Dashboard / KPI: The NorthStar WMS Dashboard is a powerful tool used to provide a real-time “mission control” view of Warehouse Operations as well as giving instant reporting of Key Performance Indicators (KPI’s).
Pick, Pack & Ship
If you’re in wholesale distribution, ecommerce, fulfillment and your customers expect getting the right product, at the right count, to the right location and at the right time than picking, packing and shipping are important processes to your success. The NorthStar WMS imports the sales order and is configured for your picking process for batch, wave, FIFO, etc. The pack station will provide multiple levels of correct order validation and manage the packing process on a single screen such as box count, selection and cartonization. The same screen will provide all that is needed for shipping for carrier selection, rate shopping and producing all required shipping labels and paperwork. A single system for order, inventory and shipping logic, a single system to grow your bottom line.
The team at NorthStar Automation are well versed in what goes on in warehouse operations and combing the engineering skill set per the latest .NET / C++ programming languages mean the NorthStar WMS is a best of breed solution for companies that want to progress form a reactive warehouse to a collaborative warehouse.
The NorthStar WMS is an open-ended system and is compatible with all major mobile wireless scanners, barcode printers and document scanners. Both platforms, IOS and Android are supported for tablets and smart phones. The system is also certified with the Voxware voice technology for hands free functionality for enhanced productivity and increased accuracy.